Here's how employers can complete their portion of an employee's I-9 & W-4:
- Once an employee completes their portion of I-9 & W-4 forms, you’ll receive an email notification that includes a link for you to complete your portion. Click on the Complete I-9 & W-4 Now button to access.
- You also can access employee forms through the I-9 & W-4 Overview page. Click on the I-9 & W-4 icon on the left to open the I-9 & W-4 App. In the bottom right, you will see the number of forms completed by employees in the Forms In Progress Employer box. Anything in this employer card is ready for you to complete.
- Always make note of the due dates so you know how much time you have to complete these forms. The government has strict guidelines for Form I-9 Completion. This form must be completed within the first three days of employment. So if an employee started on Monday, the Form I-9 must be completed by Thursday.
- You must inspect the original documents the employee has provided. You actually have to physically hold and inspect the documents. Digital copies, photocopies or pictures are not acceptable.
- To access the employee’s form, hover the employee’s name so the Complete button can become visible and click on the Complete button to open.
- In the Employer Information section on the W-4 Form, enter and select the options that apply to you. Most employers aren’t required to send their W-4 forms to the government so you may not have to enter any information here. If that’s the case, click next to move onto the Form I-9 sections.
- Once you click on the Next button, you have finalized that employee’s W-4 Form.
- On the I-9, only one List A document is required because the document establishes an employee’s Identity and Employment Authorization. Some List A documents have multiple parts which is why there are three List A sections, but it is rare for an employer to ever have to enter in a List A document that has the multiple parts.
- An employee can also provide a combination of one List B document and one List C document. List B documents establish an employee’s identity and List C documents establish an employee’s Employment Authorization.
- Employees must present one List A document or a combination of one List B document AND one list C document.
- It's also important to note that you cannot request a specific type of document. You can’t require a passport or social security card, for example. Employees have the right to provide any acceptable document or documents that meet the requirements.
- Select the Acceptable Documents that the employee has provided to verify identity and employment authorization. Then, click on Next to go to the next page.
- Select the option(s) and enter any information that applies to the identity and employment authorization portion of Form I-9. Then click on Next to go to the next page.
- In the Employee and Employer Details part of the Form I-9, enter all the information that applies to the employee and your business. Then click on Next to advance to the next page.
- Next, on the Attestation and Electronic Signature page, click on the acknowledgement box. Then, type your full name and enter the date. When these steps are completed, click on the Complete button.
- To return to the Overview page in the I-9 & W-4 app, click on the Return to Overview button. Repeat this entire process if you have other I-9 & W-4 Forms to complete.
As the employer, you can go to the I-9 & W-4 Forms page anytime to download the I-9 and W-4 forms for the employee, review the I-9 history and check the status of the forms.
As a reminder, the employee's W-4 information has been updated in their employee profile with the information they entered on the form and is available in the Employee Records app.